[Accessibility] Nokia to fund D-Bus based accessibility

Rob Taylor rob.taylor at codethink.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 04:01:35 PDT 2008

Janina Sajka wrote:
> May I suggest we take an upcoming Open A11y teleconference to discuss
> how best to engage the community as this migration moves forward? What
> do you think?

Sounds good to me.

> I suspect we have topics to consider:
>
> *	What apps need to be rewritten that will not be covered by
> *	CodeThink, e.g. gnome-speech, py-atspi, what else? How do we
> *	move these in parallel?

Well, I'd say its a little premature to rush to get a lot done in
parallel until we have the core of the work up and running. I expect we
will be covering pyatspi's interface as an aim is to have dogtail working.

Once the core is working and tested, it might make sense for someone to
start on a cspi api-compatible interface, or porting applications using
cspi (GOK and Dasher spring to mind) to the new native c AT interface.

> *	How to test on small devices--Marc's offer sounds valuable as an
> *	embedded test platform at the very least that can take us toward
> *	a11y on small and embedded devices.
>
> 	If you don't know his Icon device, look at http://levelstar.com

Looks cool! We should be doing some testing on Nokia N810s ourselves. It
would be cool to port Orca to the N810 and see how well it runs :)

Again, to repeat, this is all quite a ways off yet!

Thanks,
Rob