[Accessibility] Updated information on UIA Linux work

Pete Brunet brunet at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 24 18:46:21 PST 2008

Michael and Calvin, Thanks for the clarification.  The important part of
the stack will be the UIA to ATK bridge which existing AT and tooling will
use via AT-SPI.  It seems like a sizeable resource expenditure to
implement the UIA client APIs and UIA client API to AT-SPI bridge, but at
least at this point I don't understand the driving force behind that
expenditure.

Pete Brunet

IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G

Calvin Gaisford <cgaisford at novell.com>
Sent by: accessibility-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org
01/24/2008 03:47 PM
Please respond to
cgaisford at novell.com

accessibility <Accessibility at lists.freestandards.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Accessibility] Updated information on UIA Linux work

Hey Pete,

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 21:43 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 15:27 -0600, Pete Brunet wrote:
> >     Phase 2 - Q4 2009 - UIA Client and Moonlight integration
> >         * The UIA Client will be implemented using AT-SPI as the IPC.
> >         * The AT-SPI/UIA bridge will be completed and UIA based ATs
> > will be able to provide support for all ATK enabled apps.
>
>                Sure, and as becomes clear as you read the expanded
version in the
> pretty tables lower down the page:
>
> > Please describe the UIA client that will be implemented.  Since there
> > are no UIA ATs why is a UIA to AT-SPI bridge in the plan?  Or is it
> > for test tools, e.g. further down the page
> >
>                This means "UIA client APIs" :-) having said that, it's
likely we'll
> create some trivial test/demo AT to exercise the stack, if no-one else
> has created such a thing already.

Exactly!

> > >    Create open source suite of automation tools based on UIA
> > >
> > By that do you mean that there is a plan to enable the porting of UIA
> > based test tools to Linux and those tools would be used to access
> > Linux apps via the UIA to AT-SPI bridge ?  If that interpretation is
> > correct, what tools are being considered for porting?
>
>                No idea where you get the porting idea from :-) it reads
to me like
> Calvin wants to create a set of automated testing tools for the API
> we're creating - clearly that'll help improve quality both of our impl.
> and the rest of the stack too.

Indeed. The only tool I've even heard of that I might be interested in
porting would be the windowcatcher project that Steve Lee mentioned on
this list yesterday which appeared to me to be more of a
testing/validation tool.