[Accessibility] Nokia to acquire Trolltech

Kris Van Hees aedil-access at alchar.org
Mon Jan 28 06:10:59 PST 2008

I was just about to write in about this as well :)  So, rather than duplicating
the info...

In view of today's news that Trolltech has accepted the bid from Nokia to buy
the entire company, is it likely to assume that the path set forth towards
supporting AT will continue as before?  It might be too early to tell, but
given the importance of this work, and the occasional unexpected changes that
go along with ownership changes, I hope we may see some information on this
topic.

        Cheers,
        Kris

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:06:34AM -0600, Pete Brunet wrote:

>    Got this email today...
>    Pete Brunet[DEL:
>
>        :DEL]
>    IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
>    11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
>    Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
>    Ionosphere: WS4G
>    ----- Forwarded by Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM on 01/28/2008 08:02 AM -----
>
>    Trolltech ASA <sales at trolltech.com>
>
>    01/28/2008 01:41 AM
>
>                              Please respond to
>                             sales at trolltech.com

>    Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
>
>                                                                        cc
>
>                                                                   Subject
>
>    Nokia to acquire Trolltech
>
>    Dear customer,
>    Nokia will make a public voluntary tender offer to acquire Trolltech.
>    Trolltech's management and board of directors support Nokia's offer.
>    We felt it was important to directly inform you about this.
>    We are very excited about this, please read the attachment.
>    Trolltech ASA
>    =====
>    and here is the text from the PDF...
>    Dear Customer,
>    Today, Nokia has made a public tender offer for all the shares in
>    Trolltech.
>    We think this is great news for both you and us.
>    In Trolltech, we have for a long time had a vision of "Qt Everywhere".
>    Being acquired* by Nokia,
>    we will continue to provide you with the most advanced cross-platform
>    software framework for
>    desktop and devices in the market. There will be further investments
>    in Qt and Qtopia and an
>    even better long-term security in your decision to choose Trolltech
>    for your business.
>    We are confident that with Nokia we can accelerate our cross-platform
>    software capabilities and
>    grow Qt and Qtopia significantly in desktop and mass-volume device
>    markets. The plan is that
>    we will continue our current organizational setup, operating inside
>    Nokia as a distinct unit.
>    Nokia is already using Qt for its PC Suite, and they aim to
>    significantly expand the use of these
>    technologies moving forward. In addition to pursuing new opportunities
>    related to Nokia's
>    business focus, we will invest to continuously deliver world leading
>    software in accordance to
>    your needs.
>    In order to further stimulate industry innovation, Nokia will, as
>    Trolltech has done throughout the
>    history, continue to drive the licensing of Trolltech technology under
>    both commercial and open
>    source licenses.
>    If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
>    sales at trolltech.com.
>    Best regards,
>    Trolltech ASA
>    * Please note that the acquisition is subject to customary closing
>    conditions, including regulatory
>    and Trolltech shareholder approval.

Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,
 - the Constitution to survive the first hit, and
 - the Dexterity to run fast enough to avoid being hit a second time.