Testing (Re: [Accessibility] Updated information on UIA Linux work)

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 29 07:32:19 PST 2008

Hi All:

Just as an FYI/comment: the Orca project has a number of automated tests
that the team uses regularly.  The basic idea is that the tests play
keystrokes while a specific application is running (e.g., gtk-demo,
gedit, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.) and compare the information Orca is
presenting via speech and braille with expected output.

It's not perfect, but it has two valuable features that many things
don't have: it exists and it's useful.  ;-)  An out-of-date writeup,
which doesn't include the assertion mechanism, is here:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/RegressionTesting.  An example test with
assertions is here:
http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk/test/keystrokes/gtk-demo/role_check_box.py.

We find this suite useful for testing changes to Orca, the AT-SPI
infrastructure, and the apps themselves.

That's all.  End of unsolicited info from me...  :-)

Will