[Accessibility] minutes: Open A11y Call, 18 July 2008

"Andrés G. Aragoneses" aaragoneses at novell.com
Wed Jul 16 04:23:08 PDT 2008


The SOI link seems to be broken.

Thanks,

    Andrés


Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> aloha, again!
>
> as you may well have surmised, the wrong date appeared in the subject 
> line of the original posting of the minutes announcement for 15 JULY 
> 2008...
>
> apologies for any confusion,
> gregory.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> CARTESIAN, adj.  Relating to Descartes, a famous philosopher, author 
> of the celebrated dictum, Cogito ergo sum -- whereby he was pleased 
> to suppose he demonstrated the reality of human existence.  The 
> dictum might be improved, however, thus: Cogito cogito ergo cogito 
> sum -- "I think that I think, therefore I think that I am;" as close 
> an approach to certainty as any philosopher has yet made.
>                             -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus at hicom.net
>              Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ---------- Original Message -----------
> From: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69 at concentric.net>
> To: <accessibility at a11y.org>, <oedipus at hicom.net>
> Sent: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: minutes: Open A11y Call, 18 July 2008
>
>   
>> aloha, all!
>>
>> although there was not a quorum at today's Open Accessibility workgroup
>> call, those who did attend did discuss the issues on the agenda: 
>> namely, updating the AT-SPI DBus wiki page, located at:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/ATK/AT-SPI/AT-
>> SPI_on_D-Bus
>>
>> and coordinating Open A11y's efforts with other fora, especially 
>> live.gnome.org
>>
>> the attendees also discussed Open A11y's Statement on Desktop 
>> Interoperability (SOI), which is located at:
>>
>> http://accessibility.linuxfoundation.org/a11yweb/soi.php
>>
>> details can be found in the minutes located at:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080715
>>
>> excerpts from the minutes pertaining to the DBus wiki and SOI update
>> are also included at the end of this emessage...
>>
>> as usual, please log any errors, omissions, corrections and/or 
>> clarifications by replying-to this post on-list...
>>
>> Workgroup members are asked to pay special attention to topics 1 
>> and 2:
>>
>>
>>     
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080715#To
> pic_1:_Update_on_AT-SPI_on_Dbus_Wiki
>   
>>     
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080715#To
> pic_2:_Does_the_Statement_on_Desktop_Interoperability_.28SOI.29_Need_Updat
> ing.3F
>   
>> and to consider the list of "Resources in Search of a 
>> Maintainer", which can be found at:
>>
>>
>>     
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080715#Re
> sources_in_Search_of_a_Maintainer:
>   
>> the following "New Action Items" were logged at today's teleconference:
>>
>> ACTION: GJR - ping Willie Walker, Mark Doffman, and Rob Taylor 
>> about               coordinatrion of resources between Open A11y 
>> and GNOME Live
>>
>> ACTION: MG - review and propose revisions to DBus port wiki page
>>
>> ACTION: OS - email PeteB about problems with international dial-
>> in              numbers
>>
>> ACTION: GJR - post news item about OlafS' participation in 
>> Akademy2008               Conference
>>
>> ACTION: GJR - ensure that SOI and DBus discussion included in 
>> minutes               notice to be sent to group
>>
>> ACTION: GJR - add link to link Open A11y's ATK/AT-SPI Technical 
>>               References, highlighting the DBus wiki page to the 
>>               top of SOI
>>
>> the next Open A11y conference call is scheduled for 22 July 2008,
>>  at 1800h UTC -- an agenda is available at:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Agenda20080722
>>
>> note that since there was not a quorum at the 15 July 2008 call, 
>> the minutes from 10 June 2008 have not yet been approved -- the 
>> URI with which to review the minutes of the 10 June 2008 Open 
>> A11y conference call is:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080610
>>
>> EXCERPT FROM MINUTES 2008-07-15
>>
>> <q 
>>
>>     
> cite="http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080
> 715#Topic_1:_Update_on_AT-SPI_on_Dbus_Wiki">
>   
>> Topic 1: Update on AT-SPI on Dbus Wiki
>>
>> JS: MGorse, any updates?
>>
>> MG: starting to move towards working on mono stuff, rather than 
>> DBus; will return to that aspect of the project on as-needed 
>> basis; MarkD working on DBus port; work i've done is close to 
>> testable, but don't know how much can do unilaterally -- may 
>> need help testing when pyatspi ready to test; might identify 
>> things in common that need fixing; question of where to put 
>> things; Open Accessibility makes sense because not GNOME-centric 
>> but agnostic
>>
>> JS: agree -- Open Accessibility's intentions are stated well and 
>> clearly in the Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI) --
>>  Open Accessibility's goal has always been independence from any 
>> particular toolkit or desktop; AT from GNOME and KDE working on 
>> other desktops; keep user's perspective -- user doesn't care 
>> where certain desktop functionalities come from, as long as it 
>> is there and plays well with other implementations and 
>> applications; might be good to have documentation at Open 
>> Accessibility
>>
>> MG: might become free desktop project; right now code on 
>> codethink server
>>
>> GJR: needs to coordinate with live.gnome.org -- will email 
>> Willie Walker
>>
>> MG: DBus stuff on live.gnome.org by MarkD and Rob; some of it 
>> may not be relevant any more -- investigation, design notes;
>>
>> JS: people in our orbit
>>
>> GJR: will ping WW, MD, and RT to ensure coordination of 
>> resources </q>
>>
>> <q 
>>
>>     
> cite="http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080
> 715#Topic_2:_Does_the_Statement_on_Desktop_Interoperability_.28SOI.29_Need
> _Updating.3F">
>   
>> Topic 2: Does the Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI)
>>  Need Updating?
>>
>> JS: SOI - hasn't been updated since 2005
>>
>> JS: moving off of CORBA even in GNOME - DBus wiki needs update; 
>> perhaps SOI needs an update itself?
>>
>> JS: perhaps an addendum for SOI to bring people up-to-date and 
>> points them to the wiki?
>>
>> JS: Olaf, could you consider a proposal for updating SOI; MikeG -
>> - ideas and updates for DBus wiki page?
>>
>> GJR: listed under resources in search of a maintainer
>>
>> MG: will take a look, and post to list; also some info at 
>> live.gnome.org which is complementary or redundant -- need to 
>> cross-check and coordinate
>>
>> OS: main focus should be on updating DBus page; need 
>> documentation; need to help new people to get involved; won't be 
>> able to do much technical work on it now, but critical for 
>> attracting new participants and contributors
>>
>> OS: need to make accessible to developers
>>
>> JS: update SOI?
>>
>> OS: first idea would be to leave text as is and to put paragraph 
>> at top with links to current work
>>
>> GJR: would a link to Open A11y's ATK/AT-SPI Technical References 
>> [http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/ATK/AT-
>> SPI/Reference] suffice for SOI?
>>
>> OS: ok, but highlight DBus page
>>
>> GJR: ok, will do
>>
>> JS: olaf, want to propose new text for SOI?
>>
>> OS: better to compose when DBus wiki page is updated
>>
>> JS: ok
>>
>> </q>
>>     
> ------- End of Original Message -------
> _______________________________________________
> Accessibility mailing list
> Accessibility at lists.linux-foundation.org
> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/accessibility
>   



More information about the Accessibility mailing list