[Accessibility] link to UI Automation Community Promise

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Mar 10 04:39:42 PDT 2008

Hi Olaf,

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 11:43 +0100, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> The FAQ for the "Community Promise" mentions possible
> incompatibilities with the GPL.

	So, these are interesting; stock disclaimer: IANAL etc. etc. However,
ultimately the CP is rather similar to IBM's patent covenant around
standards[1].

> 1. The promise only applies to implementations that fully implement
> the "mandatory provisions".

	This is the case: on the other hand, Sun too with it's promise around
ODF does the same thing - apparently using patents to enforce standards
compliance. Personally I loathe any non-defensive use / threat of
patents  implicit or explicit, but it appears people think that is
socially acceptable [ Sun's covenant is AFAICS superior in several ways
and is IMHO, best practice ].

> 2. Patents on referenced technologies are excluded

	That's normal - as such, it just carves out protection for the specific
domain of the patent.

> 3. Sublicensing seems to be forbidden

	AFAIK no sub-licensing is necessary - the covenant applies to everyone:
so, you can't find anyone not convered that would need a sub-license.

> If the "Community Promise"  is indeed incompatible with the GPL, then I hope
> the AIA and Novell are willing to work with Microsoft to fix the problems.

	I see nothing incompatible in the above personally. OTOH - I see a lot
of marketing coming from the FSF around this issue.

	HTH,

		Michael.

[1] - http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/opensource/isplist.shtml