[Accessibility] Screen readers and WCAG - current state of art

Alexey Khoroshilov khoroshilov at ispras.ru
Thu Sep 3 13:59:57 PDT 2009

Hi James,

Thank you very much for the response.

Eugene, who is a webmaster of the site mentioned, have not got access to
the accessibility list yet. So he ask me to forward his answer. Please
find it below.

Dear Jamie,

Thank you for your attention for Alexey’s report and fist of all I would
like to appreciate to the NVDA and its team.

As for the issue with our website, WCAG and screen readers. We have two
‘tricks’ with CSS on our website to make it more friendly for the
visually impaired visitors, e.g. hide some useless (decorative) elements
and on the other hand provide some additional explanations and
navigation elements.

For example, we has provide to this target group additional link ‘skip
menu’ in the beginning of the page, etc. I guess that you would agree
that this link is useless for the rest of the visitors and may alter the
visible design of the site, so we has hide it from the visual user
agents (UAs).

That was not the problem. The problem is that we couldn’t hide
information which is useless for screen readers and other aural UAs from
them.

All of the following based on the same ‘environment’:
Base URL – http://www.ifap.ru/eng/index.htm
Host OS – Windows XP Professional (Eng/Russian MUI) Service Pack 3
Browser – IE 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234
Screen reader – NVDA 0.6p3.2

The first trick is special aural CSS provided for screen readers and
other aural UAs as follows:

It seems that NVDA ignoring it at all and use instead ‘regular’ CSS for
the visual UAs provided by

The second trick is to ‘hide’ decorative elements from aural UAs by
adding ‘speak: none’ in the ‘regular’ CSS for visual UAs. It also
doesn’t work. For example, let’s see the following code:

HTML (index.htm):
some graphic with hyperlink here

CSS for visual UAs (screen.css)
DIV#mainlogo {speak: none}

CSS for aural UAs (aural.css)
DIV#mainlogo {display: none; speak: none}

Ooops, NVDA still speaks the content of this DIV :(

We have slightly different behavior of the NVDA with another browsers,
e.g. Opera 10, Firefox 3.5.2 and Safari 4.0.3, but in that environment
NVDA still seems to ignore aural.css and speaks content of the mentioned
DIV.

But the HTML and CSS code has passed validation through W3C Validator
and seems to be correct in relation to HTML 4.0/CSS 2.x/WCAG 1.0

That was the explanation of our issue and I hope you can deal with it in
the future wersions of the NVDA or explain where I was wrong with the code.

Sincerely,

Eugene Altovsky
Webmaster of IFAP.ru

--