[Accessibility] Screen readers and WCAG - current state of art

Alexander Surkov surkov.alexander at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:33:51 PDT 2009

Concerning to CSS 'speak' rule, afaik, Firefox doesn't map it to
accessibility API. That's the reason neither NVDA nor Jaws pick it up
I think. I assume it's true for Safary and IE since they don't work
with them as you said.

In general the problem of Aural CSS and similar innovations is they do
not provide an implementation guide (like ARIA does for example), I
mean, the rules how browsers should map the content to AT via AT APIs.
For example, currently there is no way to map CSS 'speak: spell-out'
rule to MSAA/IA2/ATK. That means browsers and screen readers should
meet and decide how they will extend the existing API or how will they
use existing API to adapt it to new needs. That's not quick process.

The meantime development efforts are targeted on ARIA I think. ARIA is
supported more or less well by browsers and screen readers. As well
ARIA provides analogue of CSS 'speak: none' rule: role="presentation"
(which is not inherited in contrast to CSS rule I guess). Thus you
could try to use ARIA instead.

The answer on "what to do?" is you should file bugs to notify
developers and bring their attention I think.

Thank you.
Alex.