[Accessibility] Secondary Carets needed?

Brian Cragun cragun at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 18 15:08:19 PST 2010

Hi all,

At first glance, it seems obvious that an AccessibleText would only have
one Caret.    However I have begun to question whether we will soon need
an ability to represent at least a second Caret.     Multi-touch
technologies are allowing users to select with multiple fingers.    For
example, instead of defining rectangles by a sequential first and a second
corner selection, rectangles are defined by simultaneous corner
indications of two fingers.    The two finger motions of pinch and enlarge
are becoming commonplace in multi-touch interfaces.

Thus I wonder how long it will be before there is a requirement of text
selection from simultaneous touching of multiple points, thus creating a
need for two or more caret references in a linear string of text.

Please excuse me if this is an old topic that has been soundly considered.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Cragun
IBM AbilityLab Consultant