[Accessibility] Secondary Carets needed?

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 18 15:25:37 PST 2010

Brian,

This is an interesting question.  Today we have the ability via
AccessibleText to indicate both a caret location, and also a selection
(start, end).  When you have a range of text selected, one end of the
selection has a caret and therefore keyboard manipulation of the
selection (shift-arrow) grows/shrinks the selection by manipulating only
one end of the selection range.

In a multi-touch environment, there is (presently) no keyboard mechanism
for doing that at the same time on either end; you simply use your
finger.  So... I'm not sure that we need a second caret until we have a
keyboard-operable way of doing that sort of manipulation.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Principal
Oracle