[agl-discussions] AGL image stability, stress and functionality tests proposal

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at pelagicore.com
Sat Sep 19 09:05:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Manuel Bachmann [ IoT.bzh ] <
manuel.bachmann at iot.bzh> wrote:

> Hi Jens,
>
> I was a member of the Tizen Common maintainers team.
> I read your proposal with attention : especially the "Image Features" one,
> which mentions test suites for Wayland and Weston.
>
> The idea to have functional tests is great. You mention manual tests, and
> then ask about automated tests ; under Tizen, we had the "wayland-fits" (1)
> suite for this purpose.
> It basically consists in a virtual keyboard/mouse/touchscreen driver that
> achieves most of the checks you are listing (such as "Window will be
> moved", "Window will be resized"....). And with regards to Rudolf's remark,
> it can work on QEMU, too.
>
> I just verified, and it does not exist in Yocto yet. So I guess I will
> have to bitbake-ize it if we want to give it a try in AGL. I am OK to do
> the work necessary to achieve that.
>
> What is your opinion on this ?

I tell you my opinion. :-)

I think this is a great idea. Why re-write a functional test suite? What do
you gain? Perhaps you can modify the tests somewhat but what you want is a
certain "conformance" to an API or set of functionality which this suite
appears to give you. If it comes into a project anywhere as a Yocto layer
or recipe I'll certainly consider its use in a GENIVI test suite. That is
if the GENIVI test suite doesn't get merged into the burgeoning AGL test
suite. Have to see how specific to AGL the suite will become and what
components AGL takes. Currently AGL is not yet building much of GENIVI's
already existing layers and recipes which is leading to fragmentation.
Fragmentation is a really bad idea and becomes expensive really quickly.

Cheers,

Jeremiah