[agl-discussions] Review of Ostro (Intel latest embedded Linux)

tanikawa.tadao at jp.panasonic.com tanikawa.tadao at jp.panasonic.com
Tue Apr 26 01:57:51 UTC 2016

Hi Walt, Stephane,

Due to my flight schedule, I can't attend today's developer call,
I comment my thought about combo-layers for AGL distro here.

At first, I think 'repo' and 'git-submodule' are functionally equivalent when development of AGL distro.
Both have
  * Keeping upstream git history for all repositories.
  * Updating done by 1 command, 'repo sync' or 'git submodule update'
  * It is easy to overlook all of the repositories in one place

Of cause, all repositories for all target boards in one place bring redundancy for some people,
e.g. if someone wants to build porter board only,  all repositories other than for porter boards are completely unnecessary.

Surely, combo-layers can combine all repositories which is minimum necessary set for a single board.
However, in order to realize it, it must manage the 'combo-layer.conf' for each individual board.

If you really want to divide the set of repository for the individual boards,
'repo' can do it as FirefoxOS(b2g) does using '<include name="xxx.xml" />'  [1].

So far, I can't find the advantage of the combo-layer for AGL distro.

I will propose the refactoring of AGL-repo to fit well both the development and release minimum set of repository for each board.

Regards,
Tadao Tanikawa

[1] https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/b2g-manifest