[agl-discussions] Meeting minutes EG Connectivity AMM2016

Feuer, Magnus mfeuer1 at jaguarlandrover.com
Wed Mar 9 01:12:11 UTC 2016

Hello Stephane,

We did explore a number of different options, both local (posix mq, pipes,
etc) and networked (MQTT, DBUS, Corba, etc).
The problem with all these were they did not scale well for a single
publisher and multiple subscribers.

In the case of nanomsg (which I hadn't seen before, thank you for the
link), it can be seen here:
https://github.com/nanomsg/nanomsg/blob/master/src/protocols/utils/dist.c#L87
Each subscriber gets its own write, which means system call and context
switch. This will not really fly when we have dozens subscribers for a
single signal.

As for why we are doing this: We have JLR-internal requirements that
necessitates a fire hose approach to signals, where any component can get
unlimited signal access without having to worry about performance or
publisher-side filtering. I am sure that JLR is not the only OEM working on
these problems, which is why we are pushing this as an OSS solution.

Two examples of high-frequency signalling are capturing individual x/y
coordinates for a finger drag across the infotainment screen and real-time
sensor reporting. Each source on its own may not generate more than a 100
signals / sec, but they do add up quite fast.

/Magnus F.

-------------------

*Head System Architect - Open Source Projects**Jaguar Land Rover*

*Email*: mfeuer1 at jaguarlandrover.com
*Mobile*: +1 949 294 7871

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
-------------------
Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential information for a
specific individual and purpose.  The information is private and privileged
and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please e-mail us immediately.  We
apologise for any inconvenience caused but you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying or distribution or the taking of any action in reliance
on the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail does not constitute an order for goods or services unless
accompanied by an official purchase order.