[agl-discussions] [RFC] Development / Gerrit Workflow tuning

José Bollo jose.bollo at iot.bzh
Thu Feb 8 09:28:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 16:07:57 +0100
Jan-Simon Möller <jsmoeller at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> As a follow-up of today's SAT call we'd like to gather your feedback
> about the current gerrit workflow and how we can improve it.
>
> Please reply with your thoughts:
> - what is working good and should be kept as-is ?

The review process is cool.

> - what is slowing us down ?

CSS of gerrit not compliant with firefox (or conversely)
I have to admit that sometime I am too lazy to review anything.
Probably that enforcing me could help.

> - what else would you change ?

The CSS

> For the next development cycle, we'd like to gather your feedback on
> the proposed adaptations for the gerrit process:
>
> - We want to increase the number of maintainers with merge access to
>   avoid bottlenecks and speed-up the flow of code.

Agreed, JSM is not enough.

> - Each profile (IVI, telematics, core) would have a set of
> maintainers (>=3)
> - src / staging would have a set of maintainers (>=5)
> - Maintainers would be nominated by the community and approved by SAT
> - Maintainers get +2 and merge rights in gerrit
> - gerrit will be adapted to:
> -- ignore the vote of the submitter/owner of the patch (no vote on
> own patch)
> -- votes become additive  (e.g.  +2 & +2 = +4)
>    --- e.g. a +4 is required for merge
>    --- up for discussion
>        --- if +2  [=1*+2 merger review or as option 2*+1 normal
> reviews] --- or +4 [= 2*+2 merger review or as option 4*+1 normal
> reviews]

Hum I'm skeptical about adding. Actual flow pleases me.

> -- all src / staging repos need to go through gerrit reviews
> going forward (no more direct push)

I'm not in favor of that. This will not speed development as it
increase the count of reviews. But I can adapt me...

Best regards
José Bollo