[agl-discussions] GPLv2 handling

Martin Kelly mkelly at xevo.com
Thu Feb 8 21:33:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

I noticed we recently started pulling in the meta-gplv2 layer for
agl-demo and defaulting to its recipes in the AGL distro settings.
Although I can see the reasoning for this, it also breaks a number of
recipes because what's in meta-gplv2 is very old (e.g. readline 5 vs
readline 7). I noticed this breakage when trying to build networkmanager
(which needs at least readline 6), but I'm sure there are many other
breakages because of such old recipes.

I'm wondering if anyone has objections to making this all controlled at
the top-level, while preserving the current GPLv2 default.

My first thoughts on how to do this are:

- An AGL feature called "agl-demo-gplv3" that would add in agl-demo but
not meta-gplv2.
- A DISTRO_FEATURE "gplv3", unset by default. If it is not set, then we
make the PREFERRED_VERSION for various libraries default to gplv2
versions in our distro settings.

There also may be better ways to achieve the same purpose that I have
not thought of.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Martin