[agl-discussions] [RFC] Development / Gerrit Workflow tuning

Jan-Simon Möller jsmoeller at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Feb 16 12:07:14 UTC 2018

Hi !

Am Freitag, 16. Februar 2018, 12:48:56 CET schrieb Kazumasa Mitsunari:
> Hi
>
> I understood your concern. I agree with Jose.
>
> And I have a concern of the version.
>
> I'd like to know there is a rule for the version of recipe.
>
> The recipes developed in AGL are normally named as "XXXX_git.bb".
> I'm understanding "git" is useful for people to use the latest code.
>
> I'd like to know we can choose to set version such like "XXXX_1.0.bb".

Yes, bitbake understands versions. And by default it will chose the
'latest'/'highest':

E.g.:
XYZ_1.0.bb
XYZ_2.0.bb
--> bitbake will build  XYZ_2.0

But:
XYZ_1.0.bb
XYZ_2.0.bb
XYZ_git.bb
--> bitbake will build  XYZ_git as it is considered the 'latest'.

We can tweak this in the local.conf with
PREFERRED_VERSION_XYZ="2.0"

> In my opinion, if there is no change of interface or behavior, the
> change of SRCREV hash is enough.
> If there are some changes of interface or behavior, it's thankful for
> people to know the change.

Yes, you can version your recipes and make API changes visible by changing the
version number.

Best regards,
Jan-Simon