[agl-discussions] Next steps on OpenCL support for the H3

Martin Kelly mkelly at xevo.com
Wed Feb 21 01:21:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

As you know, I recently submitted patches for enabling OpenCL support on
the Renesas H3 and Salvator-X boards [1]. Kurokawa-san had concerns
about using the OpenCL drivers in the same package as the current
gles-user-module and says that Renesas can support only the existing
GLES drivers [2]. I would like to drive consensus on the right way to
handle the packaging here so that we can get OpenCL support added into
the H3. Since the H3 has a very capable GPU, it's an immensely useful
feature.

I think the central question is about the differences between the
Renesas OpenCL drivers and the existing GLES drivers [3]. It appears
these drivers are released at different cadences, such that the GLES
drivers have Yocto 3.40 support but the OpenCL drivers do not. In
addition, it appears that the OpenCL drivers replace the GLES drivers,
as they provide both an OpenCL and a GLES stack. For this reason, using
both may create issues, and it's not clear whether it's safe to mix and
match the GLES with the OpenCL drivers, or if they are mutually exclusive.

Kurokawa-san or others at Renesas: What is the recommended way to use
the OpenCL drivers on the H3 with AGL? In other words, how should I
change the OpenCL patches so we can get OpenCL supported officially in
AGL :) ? I am happy to adapt my patches to make this work but am unsure
about the best way to do it, since the driver code is proprietary.

Thanks,
Martin

[1]
https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/#/c/13375/