[agl-discussions] low can service

Romain Forlot [IoT.bzh] romain.forlot at iot.bzh
Fri Oct 12 13:01:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

- "how do I start the default low-can-service?"

You can start the low-can service manually with the "afm-util" command

afm-util start <widget_id>

Widget id use the following format : id at version

i.e: low-can-service at 6.90

But the low-can service isn't meant to run like this, it should be used
transparently through applications which will start it. A service is
always available for apps or others bindings by dependency, if you
specify that your app depends on low-can api then when the app starts,
it will automatically start the low-can service. If you want more
details, this dependency is implemented using systemd unit service and
socket that are generated when you install a widget.

- "is it already installed or do I need to install it?"

yep, it is already install as a service in the default AGL image. Until
Flounder version, you can find it in
/var/local/lib/afm/applications/low-can-service, next version will use
/var/local/lib/afm/applications/agl-service-can-low-level

- "in addition to the low can I start other services to connect the app
to the can?"

Humm, I don't think that there is an existing apps that use the low-can
API except the signal-composer for now which is also installed by
default but the low-can configuration isn't activated by default.
Anyway, signal-composer is also a service without UI. I suggest you to
read the usage guide of the low-can service here :
http://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/apis_services/en/dev/reference/signaling/low-can-usage-guide.html
If you haven't already read it. :)

Best regards.

On 10/10/18 12:29 PM, Giuseppe Basile wrote:
> Hi,
> I started the virtual can on virtual box now how do I start the
> default low-can-service? is it already installed or do I need to
> install it? in addition to the low can I start other services to
> connect the app to the can?
> Best regards

Romain Forlot - Embedded Engineer - IoT.bzh
romain.forlot at iot.bzh - www.iot.bzh - +33675142438