[agl-discussions] System time from GPS

Jan-Simon Möller jsmoeller at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Oct 31 02:28:05 UTC 2018

Hi Jason,

Am Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2018, 21:14:19 CET schrieb Jason Reich:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an M3+Kingfisher with Flounder, and our builds are always
> booting with date/time set to the build time (the M3 doesn't have any RTC).
>  For our demo setups I'm trying to get the system time set, using GPS if
> possible.
>

> I understand that the eventual architecture is to use the GPS signal to
> acquire a time, rather than using any network time (as described in the AGL
> Requirements Specification).  But I can't see anything in the OS starting
> in this direction.  The KF has a GPS and I can get time from it, but am I
> missing something in the OS or the AGL build that will start to integrate
> GPS time with the system time?

Skimming
http://catb.org/gpsd/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

I assume that you might have to check that:
- kernel modules / options enabled
- ntp configured (or the systemd alternative?)

 For one-time updates maybe check the commands here
 https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/11896/set-system-clock-to-value-received-from-gps

Best,
JS