[bitcoin-core-dev] Bitcoin Core 0.14.1 released
Wladimir J. van der Laan
laanwj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 13:10:47 UTC 2017
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Bitcoin Core version 0.14.1 is now available from:
Or, by torrent:
This is a new minor version release, including various bugfixes and
performance improvements, as well as updated translations.
Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:
To receive security and update notifications, please subscribe to:
Bitcoin Core is extensively tested on multiple operating systems using
the Linux kernel, macOS 10.8+, and Windows Vista and later.
Microsoft ended support for Windows XP on [April 8th, 2014](https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/end-of-xp-support),
No attempt is made to prevent installing or running the software on Windows XP, you
can still do so at your own risk but be aware that there are known instabilities and issues.
Please do not report issues about Windows XP to the issue tracker.
Bitcoin Core should also work on most other Unix-like systems but is not
frequently tested on them.
- - The first positional argument of `createrawtransaction` was renamed from
`transactions` to `inputs`.
- - The argument of `disconnectnode` was renamed from `node` to `address`.
These interface changes break compatibility with 0.14.0, when the named
arguments functionality, introduced in 0.14.0, is used. Client software
using these calls with named arguments needs to be updated.
In previous versions, getblocktemplate required segwit support from downstream
clients/miners once the feature activated on the network. In this version, it
now supports non-segwit clients even after activation, by removing all segwit
transactions from the returned block template. This allows non-segwit miners to
continue functioning correctly even after segwit has activated.
Due to the limitations in previous versions, getblocktemplate also recommended
non-segwit clients to not signal for the segwit version-bit. Since this is no
longer an issue, getblocktemplate now always recommends signalling segwit for
all miners. This is safe because ability to enforce the rule is the only
required criteria for safe activation, not actually producing segwit-enabled
UTXO memory accounting
Memory usage for the UTXO cache is being calculated more accurately, so that
the configured limit (`-dbcache`) will be respected when memory usage peaks
during cache flushes. The memory accounting in prior releases is estimated to
only account for half the actual peak utilization.
The default `-dbcache` has also been changed in this release to 450MiB. Users
who currently set `-dbcache` to a high value (e.g. to keep the UTXO more fully
cached in memory) should consider increasing this setting in order to achieve
the same cache performance as prior releases. Users on low-memory systems
(such as systems with 1GB or less) should consider specifying a lower value for
Additional information relating to running on low-memory systems can be found
0.14.1 Change log
Detailed release notes follow. This overview includes changes that affect
behavior, not code moves, refactors and string updates. For convenience in locating
the code changes and accompanying discussion, both the pull request and
git merge commit are mentioned.
### RPC and other APIs
- - #10084 `142fbb2` Rename first named arg of createrawtransaction (MarcoFalke)
- - #10139 `f15268d` Remove auth cookie on shutdown (practicalswift)
- - #10146 `2fea10a` Better error handling for submitblock (rawodb, gmaxwell)
- - #10144 `d947afc` Prioritisetransaction wasn't always updating ancestor fee (sdaftuar)
- - #10204 `3c79602` Rename disconnectnode argument (jnewbery)
### Block and transaction handling
- - #10126 `0b5e162` Compensate for memory peak at flush time (sipa)
- - #9912 `fc3d7db` Optimize GetWitnessHash() for non-segwit transactions (sdaftuar)
- - #10133 `ab864d3` Clean up calculations of pcoinsTip memory usage (morcos)
### P2P protocol and network code
- - #9953/#10013 `d2548a4` Fix shutdown hang with >= 8 -addnodes set (TheBlueMatt)
- - #10176 `30fa231` net: gracefully handle NodeId wrapping (theuni)
### Build system
- - #9973 `e9611d1` depends: fix zlib build on osx (theuni)
- - #10060 `ddc2dd1` Ensure an item exists on the rpcconsole stack before adding (achow101)
- - #9955/#10006 `569596c` Don't require segwit in getblocktemplate for segwit signalling or mining (sdaftuar)
- - #9959/#10127 `b5c3440` Prevent slowdown in CreateNewBlock on large mempools (sdaftuar)
### Tests and QA
- - #10157 `55f641c` Fix the `mempool_packages.py` test (sdaftuar)
- - #10037 `4d8e660` Trivial: Fix typo in help getrawtransaction RPC (keystrike)
- - #10120 `e4c9a90` util: Work around (virtual) memory exhaustion on 32-bit w/ glibc (laanwj)
- - #10130 `ecc5232` bitcoin-tx input verification (awemany, jnewbery)
Thanks to everyone who directly contributed to this release:
- - Alex Morcos
- - Andrew Chow
- - Awemany
- - Cory Fields
- - Gregory Maxwell
- - James Evans
- - John Newbery
- - MarcoFalke
- - Matt Corallo
- - Pieter Wuille
- - practicalswift
- - rawodb
- - Suhas Daftuar
- - Wladimir J. van der Laan
As well as everyone that helped translating on [Transifex](https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/bitcoin/).
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the bitcoin-core-dev