[Bitcoin-development] DNS seeds returning gone peers

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Aug 3 12:40:48 UTC 2011

> Someone I know who runs a moderately large website told me that some ISPs
> cache DNS for as long as a week without regard to TTL.

We track DNS disobeyers at Google, as we use it for load balancing (along
with many other large sites).

I'd be kind of surprised if any large/professional ISP disobeyed the TTL
that badly, because it would cause frequent problems reaching popular sites
like anything hosted on Google or Akamai. But randomizing the DNS request
isn't a bad idea.