[Bitcoin-development] Double spend detection to speed up transaction trust

Matt Corallo bitcoin-list at bluematt.me
Thu Aug 4 17:45:17 UTC 2011

There really is no reason to add the extra network complexity for this.

First of all (as you point out) no one buying a Ferrari will refuse to
wait an hour for the payment to confirm.  If someone is attempting to
pull a similar trick on, say, a vending machine however it might make
sense.  But that changes the equation.  In order for these two scammers
to pull it off, some effort is required in terms of communicating the
time to send the coins and the nodes of the targets (vending machines or
whatever) must be figured out.  So now its less of "make it impossible"
and more of "make it really hard to the point that it is no where near
worth the effort".

Lets simplify the scenario a bit so that one scammer can pull it off.
Send one copy of your transaction to the target node and another to
large mining operations so that the payment transaction is considered
invalid to miners and a transaction which pays you is confirmed.

If you are the vending machine, your goal is not to figure out any
transactions which are yours, but to figure out which transactions which
are yours are going to be confirmed.  So, you peer with the largest
miners (a "Bitcoin backbone" or large miners and merchants has been
suggested over and over again and really hasn't happened) and modify
your client to, instead of dropping transactions which are
double-spends, keep both in memory pool and consider them both invalid
until one of them confirms.

This will work with 1, 2, or n scammers, doesn't require any additional
network messages, and offers just as good, if not better security over a
double spend message.

Additionally, in the future, when(/if) Bitcoin payment processors exist,
most merchants will rely on those, which can handle such double-spend
checks and tell a merchant a transaction is confirmed in ten seconds for
small transactions, an hour for large ones, or anywhere in between.
Such payment processors could also mine or have contracts with large
miners which allows them to influence the transactions which are to be
confirmed, allowing for even quicker confirmations and the offering of
insurance against unconfirmed transactions being invalidated.

Matt