[Bitcoin-development] Double spend detection to speed up transaction trust

Andy Parkins andyparkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:58:25 UTC 2011

On 2011 August 05 Friday, Mike Hearn wrote:

> How many connections "should" a node use? We faced this decision in
> BitCoinJ recently and I asked the patch writer to reduce the number.
> It seems pretty arbitrary to me - if you aren't going to relay, a
> single connection should be good enough. Yes, it makes sybil easier,
> but if you pick the one node randomly enough it might be ok?

I don't really see that "number of connections" is the relevant metric.  For a
well designed bit of software the number of connections shouldn't matter.
There's a bit of overhead in the operating system per connection, but I'd be
surprised if that ever became a limiting factor in a stateless system like
bitcoin.  In fact, bitcoin would work perfectly well as a UDP system (I'm not
advocating that of course), and then there would be no such thing as a
connection.

Bandwidth is the measure that's relevant.

Therefore if bandwidth is the measure, just pick a bandwidth you like and
add/accept connections until you hit that bandwidth limit (probably averaged).
This has the advantage that it can be measured automatically, or sensibly set
by a user.

Andy

--
Dr Andy Parkins