[Bitcoin-development] Double spend detection to speed up transaction trust

Matt Corallo bitcoin-list at bluematt.me
Fri Aug 5 12:06:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 12:58 +0100, Andy Parkins wrote:
> On 2011 August 05 Friday, Mike Hearn wrote:
>
> I don't really see that "number of connections" is the relevant metric.
Number of connections is something that needs serious thought.  Too many
and you fill everyone's connection slots and no one can make
connections.  Too few and you don't have a network but just a bunch of
islands which would also cause serious problems.
If you aren't relaying, each connection takes almost no bandwidth, so
the question is how many do you need to be considered secure.