[Bitcoin-development] New standard transaction types: time to schedule a blockchain split?

Rick Wesson rick at support-intelligence.com
Wed Aug 24 17:40:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Rick Wesson
> <rick at support-intelligence.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> that
> can't
> >> Too early for that.
> > Could you provide a reference to why in your estimation it is "to early."
> >  Simpy stating this as fact isn't enough to sway demand.
>
> Can you provide a reference to this 'demand' a post by Luke isn't
> enough to support the claim of demand.
>
> how about trend, its a hard limit and as you acknowledged below we are not
there yet; however the trend is for more transactions and we will bump into
the limit. Being good architects we should consider how to scale or
explicitly state why its a good idea not to.

-rick

> We're not at maximum size right now (thankfully).
>
> We don't know what the network dynamics would look like at that
> traffic level. So how could we competently say what the right metrics
> would be to get the right behavior there?  Thats what I meant by too
> early.

no one ever "knows" what the network dynamics are going to be in developing
infrastructure -- so lets not kid our selves, in being able to estimate this
before the code is even written.

-rick