[Bitcoin-development] Closing issues on github

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Dec 4 14:22:11 UTC 2011

On Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:24:08 AM John Smith wrote:
> I've also closed some issues that deal purely with Wx UI issues like this
> one:
>
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/425
>
> I think my statement is valid, that we no longer support the old UI? Or
> maybe some people want to take up maintenance of the old UI?

I think it would be ideal if someone wanted to take up wxBitcoin. Maybe after
backporting to wx 2.8...

That being said, I have no interest, as I hate wx, and prefer Qt in general ;)

> I don't think that has very high priority, and should probably not be in the
> main project.

Please be careful to avoid the centralization mindset. There is no "main
project"; there is bitcoind, wxBitcoin, Bitcoin-Qt, MultiBit, and many other
non-functional clients, which should be given equal footing (before
considering their differences). There shouldn't be given any special treatment
to bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt just because "Gavin et al" happen to maintain it.

> Some of the older issues are absolutely still relevant, but 150+ open
> issues is not something to be proud of, and I wonder how other open source
> projects deal with this without too much stepping on people's toes :-)

KDE literally just closed a bug of mine that I reported in 2002, because the
component with the bug hasn't been part of KDE since 2008.