[Bitcoin-development] Lowering confirmation requirements and preventing double spends

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Thu Dec 8 22:43:24 UTC 2011

Hey Andy,

Bitcoin already does something which in practice has exactly this
effect: If a transaction is reversed, any transactions based on its
outputs are rejected.

Hosted wallets can make use of this - but as you correctly point out,
depending on the service, it can get tricky. What if I exchange the
money to USD and back before withdrawing? You could have an algorithm
where MtGox prefers to spend outputs from your own deposits as the
inputs for your withdrawals, it's not trivial though and never 100% secure.

I have trouble thinking of a good example where you need an explicit
block dependency as you describe. The only times you'd want to use this
dependency of transactions on specific previous transactions is when you
can clearly and easily associate the money. But if you can clearly and
easily associate the money, you might as well just relate the
transactions (use the outputs from the deposit transaction as the inputs
of the withdrawal transaction.)

This is btw something that would strongly agree with: Hosted wallets
should absolutely keep each account as separate public keys. With that
you lose free and instant internal transactions, but you gain instant
deposits and much better risk isolation.

This is just my view. Thanks and keep the thought-provoking stuff coming!

Cheers,

Stefan