[Bitcoin-development] Fwd: [BIP 15] Aliases

Jorge Timón timon.elviejo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 07:48:12 UTC 2011

Andy sounded very convincing when talking in favor of URLs. What's
wrong with his proposal?

2011/12/15, Walter Stanish <walter at stani.sh>:
> To my mind, it is far more likely that third party hosted services
> (such as providers of hosted wallet, conventional currency holding and
> exchange services) will provide aliasing resolution, and that these
> alias resolution services will operate on an alias at provider mechanism
> (for example, IIBAN and its 'institution' codes @ ).

Why don't just...

bitcoin://url.without.explicitly.specifying.provider
bitcoin://alias@provider
bitcoin://IIBAN@authorizedBitcoinInstitution ??

By the way, I don't like the fact that a single authorized institution
needs to map the IIBANs to bitcoin addresses.