[Bitcoin-development] Fwd: [BIP 15] Aliases

Andy Parkins andyparkins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:54:50 UTC 2011

On Friday 16 Dec 2011 17:41:25 Rick Wesson wrote:
> Its a negative example -- in that the IETF does not specify anything
> in the PATH part of the URI. The scheme, sure, but not in the path,
> there are many types of URI schemes ( start with RFC 2396 )

You seem to have jumped off the topic; you mentioned that there were
thousands of RFCs that we should review over why we shouldn't use a URI; and
you've pointed at an RFC that shows how a URI can be used.

While you're right that CGI and HTTP aren't magic; they are commonplace; and
it's important when we want an infinitely expandable mapping system that
people can use technology they are already familiar with. People already
have web servers, people already understand URIs.  It's not "just what we
are used to"; people who can cope with development of the bitcoin protocol
aren't going to be worried about protocol complexity.  It is a concern about
what the rest of the world will have to do to get a bitcoin alias.

> Providing a mapping from user at authority.tld addresses usability and

No it doesn't address usability at all, because it falls down on the first
attempt: what if I want to supply a URI that allows my web service to link
an invoice number to an issued bitcoin address?  You've forced every mapping
service to be identical, and limited.

> identity. I'd like to see an elegant transformation, specifically I
> take to task anyone that advocates
> https://authority/foo/user?tx=1zhd789632uilos as elegant.

You've been unfair, the equivalent of your "user at authority.tld" is
"https://authority.tld/user" or "https://user.authority.tld/" or
"https://google.com/bitcoin/user" or any of an infinite number of other
variations that _I_ as the mapper get to choose rather than whoever wrote
the BIP; all of which are arguably no less "elegant" than that simple email.

There is no equivalent in the other direction though.  For someone who
want's to supply the TX to their mapping server... where does it go in
"user at authority.tld"?

Andy

--
Dr Andy Parkins