[Bitcoin-development] Protocol extensions

Jordan Mack jordanmack at parhelic.com
Sun Dec 18 00:44:58 UTC 2011

While using DHT for storage of the block chain is an intriguing concept,
I do not see how it is feasible. As Gavin noted, DHT is a system that is
difficult to impossible to guarantee against data loss or manipulation.

Even if we found a way to store the block chain in DHT, how would
transactions be verified? As Gavin noted, you could ask the network, but
cannot necessarily trust the peers you are connected to. Verification of
the full block chain allows the client to trust no one.

I also do not see how DHT would solve the problem of scalability in
regards to broadcast messages, although I am definitely interested in
the concept.