[Bitcoin-development] Protocol extensions

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:06:09 UTC 2011

The whole point of having headers built at a constant size and
generation rate is to minimize the amount of data needed to "understand"
of the blockchain while simultaneously maximizing integrity/security in
the presence of untrusted nodes.  Barring the 50%-attack, you only need
a couple honest nodes out of 50 to stay safe (as long as you're waiting
for your 6 confirmations).   In fact, I would argue that a full node
(Satoshi client), has the same level of security as a headers-only
client... because they both base *all* their verification decisions on
computations that end with comparing hashes to the longest-chain headers.

In the case that an attacker figures out how to isolate your node
entirely and start feeing you poisoned blocks, then you are vulnerable
with any kind of node, full or lightweight.  I don't see where the
reduced security is.

The only issue I see is that a truly light-weight, headers-only node
will be having to download an entire block to get one transaction it
needs.  This would be significantly alleviated if nodes can start
requesting merkle-trees directly, even without merkle-branch-pruning.
If a node can ask for a tx and the tx-hash-list of the block that
incorporated that tx,  he can easily verify his tx against his
no-need-to-trust-anyone headers, and doesn't have to download MBs for
every one.

As for blockchain pruning... I think it's absolutely critical to find a
way to do this, /for all nodes/.  I am swayed by Dan Kaminsky's
scalability warnings, and my instinct tells me that leaving full
verification to a select few deep-pockets nodes in the future opens up
all sorts of centralization/power-corporation issues that is contrary to
the Bitcoin concept.  It is in everyone's best interest to make it as
easy as possible for /anyone/ to act as a full node (if possible).  As
such, I believe that the current system of minimizing TxOut size is the
right one.  TxIns take up 0 bytes space in the long-run when taking into
account any blockchain pruning/snapshot idea (except for nLocktime/seq
transactions where the TxIn might have to be saved).

-Alan