[Bitcoin-development] [BIP 15] Aliases

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Dec 19 01:13:57 UTC 2011

On Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:58:37 PM slush wrote:
> Maybe I'm retarded, but where's the point in providing alliases containing
> yet another hash in URL?

The point of the extended URI is to allow the server to negotiate payment
details (payment/order information, fees, new privacy address, etc) rather
than merely sending a simple payment to a single fixed address.

I am not convinced *aliases* are practical, without CA trust. An organization
that wants to trust a CA with all their funds can leave off the address
portion, to provide more human-friendly URIs.