[Bitcoin-development] [BIP 15] Aliases

Jordan Mack jordanmack at parhelic.com
Mon Dec 19 18:13:08 UTC 2011

With all due respect, I continue to disagree on the topic of using HTTP
for data interchange.

Yes, an HTTP multipart response will accomplish the need for multiple
named resources. The problem is that parsing of a multipart response
isn't simple, and library support is weak across many languages. The
widely adopted cURL library does not support multipart response parsing
at all.

JSON is widely adopted, human readable, and has parsing libraries
available for every major language. There is a bit of additional bloat,
but I believe it is warranted in this case because of the convenience
and ease it brings to developers.

If the idea is to "KISS", and provide a method that is both quick and
easy to implement for the average developer, then JSON is a stand out
option. Using HTTP for the data interchange will make things difficult
for a lot of developers if multipart responses are used. JSON will be
greeted with open arms.