[Bitcoin-development] Protocol extensions

Nicolas Fischer molec at gmx.de
Tue Dec 20 10:44:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:10:23 +0100
Wladimir <laanwj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably would need to package the block chain with it, as downloading that
> over Tor takes ages and causes unnecessary load on the network...

I actually started a freenet plugin for blockchain distribution in summer (first rough steps only). Freenet seems really fit for this purpose since its mechanisms to provide wider storage (and thus faster requesting) for much-requested keys should help a lot here. Also freenet storage is decentralized, so that's another plus that goes hand-in-hand with bitcoin principles.

There's already a specification for "btcfn" which was done in 2010: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55089.msg655410#msg655410

I stopped work on this because other people were supposedly working on it. I asked da2ce7 about it at the conference and he said progress was "slow".

I totally agree with the sentiment that these features should not be implemented in the bitcoin node itself but outsourced to the established systems, both because it's hard and also for "hiding traffic in the masses".

--
Nicolas Fischer <molec at gmx.de>