[Bitcoin-development] BIP language on normative behavior

Andy Parkins andyparkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 09:27:05 UTC 2011

On 2011 December 21 Wednesday, Amir Taaki wrote:

> In the original intention for BIP_0014, that would map to:
>
> /Gecko:20110613/Firefox:6.0a2/Mozilla:5.0/
>
> With something like WebKit, it becomes easy to see why that would be
> useful. You can suddenly do a network wide scan of all browsers using
> WebKit, rather than having to maintain a database of all WebKit enabled
> browsers.

This seems excellent to me.

I think most developers want to do the right thing when it comes to standards,
and it is only the inflexibility or ambiguity of a standard that means they
don't.

This heirarchical method lets every client supply all the information they
have -- nobody has to make a decision to leave something out.  The internal
debate they would have "is my gui version more important than my protocol
engine version?" is unnecessary.

Andy

--
Dr Andy Parkins