[Bitcoin-development] Protocol extensions

Zell Faze zellfaze at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 02:55:08 UTC 2011

I may be missing something, but perhaps the simplistic method is the best.

Start all nodes off with a certain level of trust.  Lets choose an arbitrary number 5.
If a node's trust level is high enough (lets say 10) forward transactions it sends you without checking them.
If a node's trust level is low enough (lets say 0) discard any transactions they send you (i.e. don't forward them on).
For nodes with a trust level between 1 and 9, forward without checking between 1 and 9 out of every 10 transactions.  Check the others, if they are valid, increase the trust level by 1, if they are invalid decrease the trust level by 3.

All of the numbers mentioned here (1-10, 1, 10, 1, 5, and 3) are arbitrary numbers that should be determined by the client or user-preferences instead of the protocol.  This would allow for clients to have varying amounts of initial trust/paranoia about their peers.

By decreasing the amount of trust faster than we increase it, we make it harder for untrustworthy clients to cheat us.  By having a cut off point, we make it so that untrustworthy clients can not DDoS us.  By randomly verifying some transactions in the beginning, we make it harder for a new client from DDoSing us, and we prevent our own trust level from being hurt too much for forwarding on invalid transactions.

The only problem I can personally see with this system is that if Node A trusts Node B with a 10 and Node C connects to Node A, then Node C can send  transactions that are invalid to Node C via Node A without Node C being any the wiser.  This would be stopped fairly quickly as Node B would catch on and stop forwarding transactions, but it would be a problem for new Nodes.

This could be fixed (somewhat) by having a message that says not to trust a particular node.

--Zell Faze