[Bitcoin-development] Alternative to OP_EVAL

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Thu Dec 29 19:54:28 UTC 2011

> RE: delaying EVAL rollout:  I could live with rolling out just BIP 11
> (up-to-3-signature-CHECKMULTISIG as 'standard' transactions) and
> delaying EVAL rollout on the main network, but I worry that will just
> encourage people to delay thoroughly reviewing/testing for a couple of
> months, and we'll be right back here at the beginning of March.

How about releasing it on testnet first? If you want "less smart" people
such as myself to help test, well I don't think I would get anywhere if
I tried to abstractly reason about every possibility. Low-level testing
is certainly important, but for me "thorough testing" requires an actual
network of nodes (running different clients) and applications capable of
creating and verifying real OP_EVAL transactions.

My suggestion would be: Deploy OP_EVAL on testnet quickly, let's build
some real-life applications and if it works well, /then /let's pull the
trigger for mainnet. If some issues or improvements arise, we'll have a
chance to adjust it and try again.

I don't think this is too conservative or paranoid. I think this is a
textbook use case for testnet.