[Bitcoin-development] Reconsider build system change?

John Smith witchspace81 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:49:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Matt Corallo <bitcoin-list at bluematt.me>wrote:

> would be up to whoever writes the build system. However, autotools is
> more standard than CMake, and since its a shell script, you dont have to
> install CMake which doesnt come standard on almost any distros (AFAIK).

CMake is also very standard, used by many projects, and is available in many
distros.

For debians it's as simple as apt-get install cmake, which is not a big
problem as you need to install the other dependencies (such as boost) as
well to build.

Fedora/redhat also seems to have the package 'cmake'. I don't think there is
any modern distro that doesn't have it as a package.

JS