[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin v0.3.24 release candidate available

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at exmulti.com
Sun Jul 3 03:09:11 UTC 2011

Bitcoin v0.3.24 release candidate #1 is now available for download at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.3.24/test/

This is another bug fix release.  We had hoped to have wallet
encryption ready for release, but more urgent fixes for existing
clients were needed.  Wallet encryption is ready for testing at
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/352 for the git-savvy, and
-hopefully- will follow shortly in the next release, v0.4.

Notable fixes in v0.3.24:

F1) Block downloads were failing or taking unreasonable amounts of
time to complete, because the increased size of the block chain was
bumping up against some earlier buffer-size DoS limits.
F2) Fix crash caused by loss/lack of network connection.

Notable changes in v0.3.24:
C1) DNS seeding enabled by default.
C2) UPNP enabled by default in the GUI client.  The percentage of
bitcoin clients that accept incoming connections is quite small, and
that is a problem.  This should help.  bitcoind, and unofficial
builds, are unchanged (though we encourage use of "-upnp" to help the
network!)
C3) Initial unit testing framework.  Bitcoin sorely needs automated
tests, and this is a beginning.  Contributions welcome.
C4) Internal wallet code cleanup.  While invisible to an end user,
this change provides the basis for v0.4's wallet encryption.

Full changelog ("git shortlog v0.3.23.."):

Dawid Spiechowicz (1):
      added polish translation

Doug Huff (1):
      Add OSX App bundle and correct build instructions to reflect reality.

Eric Hosmer (3):
      Updated Visual C++ makefile.
      Further updated Visual C++ makefile.
      Add keystore.h to makefile.vs's header list.

Gavin Andresen (1):
      Boost unit-testing framework.     make -f makefile.{unix,osx,mingw} test_b

Giel van Schijndel (2):
      rpc server: send '403 Forbidden' to rejected clients
      rpc: don't send 403 when using SSL to prevent DoS

Han Lin Yap (3):
      Double check translation and improved a translation string
      Update swedish translation
      Consistent Bitcoin example address

James Burkle (1):
      Edited init.cpp to include a check that -datadir exists

Jeff Garzik (6):
      FormatFullVersion: build fix related to recent translation improvement
      doc/release-process.txt: minor updates
      CWalletTx::GetAmounts(): pass NULL for CKeyStore*, rather than false     t
      Enable DNS seeding by default.
      Bump version to 0.3.24.
      Bump OSX version to 0.3.24 (missed in previous commit)

Joerie de Gram (1):
      Fix connection failure debug output

Jordan Lewis (8):
      Only include irc.h when needed
      Only include db.h when we have to.
      Only included rpc.h when necessary
      Only include net.h when we have to
      Only include init.h when we have to
      Only include strlcpy.h when we have to
      Remove some globally unused headers from headers.h
      Only include certain boost headers if necessary.

Matt Corallo (5):
      Update translations and remove obsolete translations.
      Add new DNSSeed dnsseed.bluematt.me.
      Only use dnsseeds and static seeds when not on testnet.
      Make UPnP default on Bitcoin but not on Bitcoind.
      Give more detailed error messages for connection failure.

Pieter Wuille (5):
      move wallet code to separate file
      CWallet class
      Bugfixes walletclass
      Fix segfault when creating new wallet
      Limit response to getblocks to half of output buffer size

Shane Wegner (1):
      Fix missing includes needed for Boost 1.46.

Stéphane Gimenez (1):
      Fix AddressBook syncrhonization between a CWallet and CWalletDB

Wladimir J. van der Laan (1):
      add GetTotalBlocksEstimate() function, move magic number to constant