[Bitcoin-development] Bumping up against flood control limits again?

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Jun 14 16:44:41 UTC 2011

Block sizes have started to get quite large once again. Whilst testing
chain download today I was disconnected due to going over the 10mb
flood control limit. Infuriatingly, I can't reproduce this reliably.
But at 500 blocks an average of 20kb per block will cause this. As we
can see from the block explorer, the average is probably quite close
to that.

The flood control seems like a pretty serious scalability limitation.
I can see a few solutions. One is to raise the limit again. Another is
to raise the limit and simultaneously lower the batch size. 500 blocks
in one message means very large messages no matter how big the flood
control limit is. Going down to 100 or even 50 would hurt chain
download speed quite a bit in high latency environments, but chain
download is already a serious bottleneck.

Thoughts?