[Bitcoin-development] Release priorities for v0.4?

Theodore Witkamp theodore.witkamp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:32:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at exmulti.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Mark Visser <mjmvisser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I humbly suggest allowing the wallet.dat location to be specified in the preferences. Being able to easily physically disconnect a wallet by unplugging a USB key seems like a good idea.
>
> That's what -datadir is for.  Unfortunately -all- databases must be in
> the datadir, because wallet.dat is a berkeley db, and we need a
> transactional environment.  That makes it difficult to move just one
> file.

I am a Berkley DB ignoramus , but how is specifying the wallet file
path different than using a symlink?

Also I think that allowing the user to open more than one wallet helps
the user develop an intuition for the system.
A simple task like opening transferring coins from one to the other is
currently very awkward on the same installation.

Ted