[Bitcoin-development] Lock protocol version numbers

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Nov 5 16:29:15 UTC 2011

On Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:17:58 PM Christian Decker wrote:
> Sorry for shooting this approach down, but I'm against it. User-agent
> strings are an extremely bad idea as it would lead developers to start
> making communication choices depending on the client type.

This can be necessary in some cases. What happens when some popular client is
found with a subtle bug, and cannot otherwise be differentiated from other
similar-functionality clients? I have found User-Agent very valuable when
dealing with the wide variety of miner bugs when I have enabled new
functionality/behaviour on Eligius.