[Bitcoin-development] multisig, op_eval and lock_time/sequence...

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 03:00:56 UTC 2011

The purpose of creating BIP 0010 now, is to encourage a standard that
developers /want/ to adopt, from the outset.  Every developer who is
planning to touch multi-signature transactions, is going to have to
solve the problem of multi-sig tx exchanges, eventually.  By offering an
excellent solution before they've started asking the question, there's a
good chance people will use it.   Hear me out...

Protocols get fragmented when there's multiple competing ways to do
something, each having some advantages the others don't have.  This
leads to developers with differing priorities picking different ones, or
creating their own.   However, I believe that the problem BIP 0010 seeks
to solve is a fairly straightforward problem.  There's not a lot of
variety in the solutions that could compete against it.  People just
need a way to pass this data around, and they want it to be as
convenient to use, and as easy to implement as possible.  In that sense,
I think BIP 0010 (or some future variant) is fairly optimal as a
building block for higher-level protocols.

If anyone has ideas for why someone would want to create a competing
idea to BIP 0010 (besides not being aware of it when they start), I'd
like to discuss it.  I'm fairly confident that any such ideas could just
be added to BIP 0010 and thus reset the question of why anyone would
need a competing idea.