[Bitcoin-development] multisig, op_eval and lock_time/sequence...

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Nov 12 17:16:02 UTC 2011

BIPs are either "standards track" (affects everyone, represents consensus),
"informational" (ie basically just summarizing the authors viewpoints on
things) or "process".

My point is you can't have a credible standards track BIP until something
has been implemented end to end. I don't think it's a good plan to design
these things in isolation. You'll end up with bizarre user experiences
because of technical decisions taken months earlier that are now hard to
reverse. A working end to end implementation gives you the confidence to
say, yes, this is how it should work, because here's the demo and you can
see it works very well and the code is clean.

If your BIP is informational then no problems, but I don't think there's
much point in informational BIPs to be honest - it's easier to just write
an email or forum post summarizing your views on things. If you find it a
useful framework to write your thoughts in that's OK, but don't expect
implementors to follow what's written there just because it's a BIP. It
carries no more weight than any other document would.