[Bitcoin-development] BIP process

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 19:17:43 UTC 2011

Amir started the "get more formal about changes to bitcoin" ball
rolling by creating BIP 0001, starting from the Python "PEP" /
BitTorrent "BEP" processes:
  https://en.bitcoin.it/w/index.php?title=BIP_0001

The idea is to use BIPs for changes that may or will affect every
bitcoin implementation (not to use them for proposed changes to one
particular implementation).

I'd like to propose some minor changes to the process:

• I propose that BIPs be wiki pages, with a social convention that the
Author gets final word if any editing wars break out.

• If he's willing, I propose that Amir take the role of BIP editor.

• I think bitcoin is still too small to have a specialized
"bitcoin-ideas" mailing list; I propose that new potential BIPs be
discussed either here or on the bitcoin-dev mailing list.

What do y'all think?

Gavin Andresen