[Bitcoin-development] Detecting OP_EVAL scriptPubKeys that are to you

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:01:00 UTC 2011

RE: buying me and Gregory a shared beer:

> I would make a "both of two" btc-addresses script transaction using OP_EVAL. And post it.
> You would then not be able to know that you actually got a beer unless I told you so in a mail.

But that transaction won't show up in my bitcoin wallet as bitcoins I can spend.

And even if my wallet DID show me "transactions that involve your keys
but that you can't spend," all I would know is there are N bitcoins
that I can only spend if I can somehow figure out that Gregory has
public key XYZ.

How would I know that unless you told me?

I think the right long-term solution is moving away from bitcoin
addresses as 'pay-to entity' and create an infrastructure where we're
paying people or organizations. But in the short term, I think there
are lots of benefits to creating a new type of bitcoin address built
on top of OP_EVAL that will be very easy for all of our existing
infrastructure to support.

Gavin Andresen