[Bitcoin-development] Alert System

Steve shadders.del at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:04:08 UTC 2011

I think there's a significant risk to not having it at this stage.
There's many reasons why an urgent update may been to rapidly propagated
in this stage of the network's lifecycle.  Perhaps if there's a
perceived threat of abuse the protocol could be altered slightly so it
can't carry content.  Only a notification of the fact that there is an
alert.  Then it would be up to individual clients whether they react to
it or not.  The main clients would probably check a central trusted
server for actual alert content.  This would give a lot more flexibility
in how to deal with the alert.  Alert content servers could for example
implement a json api to provide alert content with meta data like target
client version, priority etc.

I think it should be removed in the future but not for a good while yet.