[Bitcoin-development] Alert System

theymos theymos at mm.st
Thu Sep 8 19:43:12 UTC 2011

The alert system will be very important if there are ever any critical
problems in the network. For example, it is currently Bitcoin's only
defense against an attacker with >50% of the computational power, where
alerts would be used to tell people to stop accepting transactions.

Displaying a message is pretty harmless. In fact, I don't think the
message is prominent enough. The GUI client should not allow people to
see received transactions or send new transactions while an alert is in
effect (with an opt-out), and there should be an opt-in feature that
puts RPC into safe mode in response to an alert.

Alerts are no worse than transactions as a DoS attack vector. They're
much safer than typical HTTPS because there are no CAs that can break
its security.

(FYI: I also have a copy of the alert key.)