[Bitcoin-development] Beyond IP transactions: towards a bitcoin payment protocol

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 23:15:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:38:48PM -0500, kjj wrote:
> Pieter Wuille wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >here is an idea i've bean writing up: https://gist.github.com/1237788
> >
> >I hope it can start some discussion about moving away from static bitcoin addresses
> >as descriptions for transactions. I suppose it's a candidate for a BIP/BEPS/BFC/...,
> >but as things don't seem to have been decided completely about those, I put it in a
> >Gist.
> >
> >Please, comment.
> >
> This may just be me, but this really looks like an incredibly
> convoluted way to solve a bunch of problems that aren't really
> problems.  The central issue that I see, is that you assume that
> there is no out of band channel, as if people were just sending
> transactions to addresses that came to them in a dream.
>
> I think that this assumption is only true when it doesn't matter.
> For example, I have a donation link in my sig on the forums.  I
> don't care much who sends to it, or why, and I certainly don't need
> annotations or a refund address.  The rest of the time, payments are
> sent to addresses that already have sufficient context.

Well, I agree, this scheme is not (primarily) intended to be a solution
for people who want to accept anonymous donations; static addresses
work very well for that application (unless you want unlinkability
between different payments).

Let me try to explain what I do want to accomplish.

What current addresses are, is a reference to a public key. The way they
are used is as a template for a transaction. If you do not need complex
transactions, this suffices indeed, given that all other negotiation about
the payment occurs out-of-band already (e.g., a webshop interface that
after clicking 'pay' gives you a freshly generated bitcoin address and
stores it so it can track your payment).

What I want to do is to standardize part of that out-of-band communication
inside a protocol. The first observation is that if you want a freshly
negotiated key each time, some form of bidirectional communication is
necessary anyway, and a static txout template does not suffice anymore.
If you're doing bidirectional communication, you are no longer limited
by the space constraints of something by-human-copy-pastable, and you can
just negotiate the txout directly, which transparently adds support for
anything that is possible through bitcoin scripts.

So far, the creation of transactions is "solved". However, by asking nodes
not to broadcast their transaction, but instead just send it back (we're
communicating with some other party already anyway, and this other party
is the one who cares about the tx being accepted), the receiver can track
it as well. Furthermore, by passing tags along, identification of
transactions becomes a lot easier. As a  extra advantage, this makes the
requirements for a client easier as well (it doesn't need to be a p2p
node).

The third step is adding signatures to authenticate the whole process.
They are necessary to make sure the client is communicating with who he
thinks he is, but by using them for the submission of the transaction as
well, it gives the client a proof of payment acceptance too.

Summarized: addresses are a limited method for defining payments, and as
soon as you move to a protocol instead of a static template, a lot of
possibilities open up.

--
Pieter