[Bitcoin-development] Signature Blocks and URI Sign Requests

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:01:10 UTC 2012

Mike,

You make an excellent point.  Neither of these proposals impact the
protocol itself.  I hadn't considered that.  But I think it's a
critically important problem to solve (signature blocks, not so much,
but it could piggy back on the same solution).    So the mailing list is
a good place to discuss this, but it maybe it shouldn't be labeled as a
BIP.  I'll leave that up to the others (arguably, the URI scheme is not
a protocol change, either, but was still a BIP).

There is all this fanfare around P2SH and how multi-sig is the solution
to all these security problems, but how the hell do you use it?  I
believe that BIP 10 (or successor) is *critical//*to the success of
multi-sig, because the greatest barrier to using multi-sig will be the
ability to actually execute them in less than 14 steps.  And if every
client implements it differently, there's even less chance it will be
used (assuming the userbase reaches any level of client diversity).

I think we need to supply a solution to this existing problem before
everyone starts solving it on their own and fragmenting the market.  No
one has to use the solution we come up with -- but I believe it's a
problem for which most developers will take any solution that is easy to
exchange, size-efficient and promised to be interoperable (if for no
other reason than the Satoshi client uses it).

-Alan